First Day of School

Since it was the first day, we really didn't do much but get our schedules, and for each class listen to the teacher talk about rules and stuff, so I don't really know how hard school will actually be for me.
I do know, though, that I understood much more than I thought I would have.

Like in tech class- the teacher talked for about 40 minutes, elaborating on all of his points, but I understood the essentials- No drinks, no food, no gum, no social networking, make sure to save your work so you don't lose anything, he gave us his email address, he asked who was in the class last year, he showed us the textbook we need for the class, and he had a small conversation with me about how I'm an exchange student. I think I did well enough.

A couple good moments from school today:

1.     The math teacher insisted my name is actually pronounced "hawk-eh" After saying "No, it's Jake" multiple times, and him still saying "hawk-eh" it was like whatever. I don't even care. Hawk-eh it is for this class.

2.     All the math teacher did was take roll call. So the rest of the class we and a few others compared the sounds animals make in English and Spanish. They thought that "cock-a-doodle-do" was the funniest thing in the world. But here are a couple in Spanish:

  • Rooster- Ki Kiri Ki
  • Cats- Miau Miau
  • Chicks- Pio Pio Pio
  • Dogs- Guau Guau
  • Cows- Muuuuu
  • Frog- Crua Crua
3.     In Spanish schools, unlike American schools, the teachers change classrooms, not the students. The only time we change classrooms are for tech class because we need computers, and P.E. So for tech today, no one knew where the classroom is. Also, my school is HUGE. It has multiple buildings and they're all 4 or 5 stories more or less. So my class of thirty something went up 5 floors and down 5 floors in the first building. Up 4 down 4 in the second. And again. And finally we just returned to our original classroom because we didn't find it. Ten minutes later, the teacher found us to take us to our tech class. Where was it? Next door to our regular classroom. OF COURSE!


2 comments to "First Day of School"

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States