Dos Mil Once

I've never been so superstitious in my life until this New Year's.

Apparently there's a whole list of things you have to do in order to ensure that the new year will be a prosperous one.

The most important thing is the grapes. The tradition is that everyone has to eat 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the year. It's interesting because we always count down "10, 9, 8, 7..." but here, and with the grapes you count up "1, 2, 3...12." It was pretty funny the whole group of people in front of the TV watching the clock count up and shoving grapes down their throats. It's actually pretty hard. Oh, and also you have to say "Feliz Año Nuevo" (Happy New Year) between every grape, just to make it that much harder.

Thankfully I was able to finish the grapes in time, and that I didn't choke. That was my question about this thing: how many little kids are rushed to the hospital every New Year from choking on grapes??

You also have to make sure to wear something red (I rushed out to town at 7:30 that night, when everything closed at 8,  to buy red boxers because I didn't have anything red. You have to wear something made of gold, too.

Everyone also had to write a letter about what you want the new year to bring, and a second letter of the things in your life that you want to go away, or stop happening, and then you burn the second letter and keep the first one.

I took the letter thing pretty seriously. Actually I took it all pretty seriously, so I hope all this tradition stuff works, and I have an extra good 2011.

I hope you all had a good New Year's Eve, and I wish you all a good 2011. And good luck with that New Year's Resolution of losing 10 pounds!


1 comments to "Dos Mil Once"

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States