Ashtray Wednesday

I love learning another language. It's not easy, but it's a good challenge, and it has its fun. I especially love the moments of mixups. (Why didn't I start a list of this stuff to keep track and remember?)

Today I finally started volunteering, which I've been wanting to do for a while. As of today, I'm giving English classes to elementary school kids 2 hours a week, which I'm really excited about.

It so happened that my first day was the one day that I had to leave early. I had to leave early because I wanted to be able to go to mass for Ash Wednesday. I could've just said that I had to leave early and left it at that, but no, of course I went on to explain why, and in the process I managed to mix up the words for "ash" and "ashtray" leaving me with the need to go to the "Ashtray Wednesday mass."

I think I've sucessfully invented the newest Catholic holiday. If I do say so myself, it's a pretty good one.

Going on to the mass itself, it had some good moments too.

  1. I was caught off guard when, instead of drawing a cross on my forehead with ash, the priest sprinkled ash in my hair.
  2. At communion, when everyone shakes hands, I, out of second nature, put my hand out to the lady next to me. She grabbed my hand, pulled me in to do the kisses on each cheek. Totally forgot I was in Spain at that moment. The next lady put her hand out to me, I shook it and went in for the kisses, and she was caught off guard by that, but did it anyways. The third person just totally backed off. I guess they didn't want them?? All of this left me confused about what you're actually supposed to do. Why can't you just shake everyone's hand, whether man, woman, old, or young, like in the States?
  3. There was no wine for communion. I'm in Spain. Spain is wine. Wine is Spain. I'm lost for words on this one...
Once again, I'm left confused. Welcome to the life of an exchange student.


0 comments to "Ashtray Wednesday"

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States