La Música

A little while ago, I had an epiphany.

I spend so much of my time listening to music. To and from school, every other time I'm travelling throughout the city walking, on the bus, or subway, while I'm studying, while I'm cooking, doing chores, in the shower...the list goes on.

I remembered that, two of the biggest reasons I'm here are to learn Spanish, and learn the culture, and what I realized was that I've been here 6 months, listening to music during all of these activities and many more, and I've kept to my American music. The music of the culture I already know. The music in English. Sure, a little bit is fine, the American music has definitely made it's way here anyways, and it's a good portion of what they listen to, but I shouldn't have kept to that this whole time.

With that, my iPod has undergone a transformation. In these last two weeks, I've added almost 100 songs. I've also added the lyrics to almost all of them so I can read them and listen to them at the same time and learn from it. I've added songs from Spain, South America, and Mexico. I've added songs of different genres. I'm enjoying all of it, and I'm learning a lot from it too, and I plan to continue discovering new music, and continue to gain knowledge of the Spanish language and culture from it.


4 comments to "La Música"

  • You should listen to the following... I mean i love them jeje Juanes (gotta love Colombia!), Camila (very cheesy mexican pop but awesome), Chino Y Nacho (its a little girly but im a girl and well I enjoy it and you might too :).... and then I really love La Oreja De Van Gogh (which is from Spain!)... En serio... Escucha :) Camila es mi favorito pero no se para ti!

  • Btw i really like your blog! Its very good! I feel kind of creepy that I've been like keeping up with it though! But I also want to do AFS... But in Argentina. I wanted to in Spain but i was to scared that I would be placed somewhere where they spoke gallego o vascuence o catalan... And for me Argentina is just perfect :) So I'm hoping to do the year program next year in the spring :) chandlermburkhart@yahoo.com loveeee the blog :) me encanta! jeje and seriously listen to Juanes because he's like loved everywhere in latin america! Like La Camisa Negra is such a catchy song! It will be stuck in your head pretty easily...

  • Sooo, I definitely think you should check out Julieta Venegas. She uses soo many instruments in her music and she has a lot of fun songs. Check out Me Voy and Eres Para Mi by her.
    I too have been keeping up with your blog, not to sound like a creeper. I really wanted to either go to Argentina or Spain my junior year with AFS and I had everything planned, but then my family suddenly moved to Germany so I can't really do it anymore ): So I just read other people's blogs, haha. But this one is really good, probably my favorite so far. Keep up the great writing (:
    ~Layna

  • If you're into spanish rap I actually have a few friends and friends of friends that have pretty good rap groups!
    Pinja

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bellingham, Washington, United States